Thursday, January 12, 2012

Waiting for winter??

Now we have gone and done it!!  We were flirting with winter destiny screwing around here in Kansas in January! Now its about to bite us in the backside.  We went to Red Robin tonight and it was about 40 degrees, but the wind had changed to the Northwest since earlier in the day.

As if that's not enough, it began to rain and the wind began to blow while we were in the restaurant.  And the temperature went down to 28 degrees.  So it is below freezing with  rain coming down and the wind at about 30 miles per hour.  The weather service calls for the chance of snow at 90 percent......  The low tonight is forecast to be 16 F.   The redeeming grace is that they are not calling for too much snow in total, but we have been gone for all of these storms in the last several years.

I guess I will just have to get back in the game plan,  "for winter!!"  I'm mostly out of practice, because this used to be standard procedure when I lived up in Iowa....  How quickly we become a patsy to these things...

Well anyway today was "fix the garage door closer electronic sender day!"  You know the push button coded outside control had given up.  But I got lucky, as only the battery was shot!  It only took a nine volt battery that I already had on hand.

The next project was to go renew our automobile and household insurance.  Rather than just send it off in the mail, I wanted to personally go take the check over.  Messing around with insurance is the best way to find yourself without coverage!  The check was hand delivered, and the cards to go in each vehicle were printed and handed to me on the spot.  I also got the receipt for the check with the agents signature on it should there be any doubt about when it was paid.

These insurance folks have paid a minor fortune in claims for us this year with the roof and all the vehicle repairs from our hail storm, so taking chances with this stuff just isn't in the cards.

We will be leaving here in the next week or so, so I decided to go over to the barber shop this afternoon and get a slight trim.   It was only about 4 weeks ago since the last complete do, but starting over will get me well into late February before I will need to go again.  And perhaps I can stretch it out into March, which will get me back here to go to the regular folks.......

Tonight at Red Robin, I ordered a cheese burger and fries.  When they brought the meal, I was famished, so I didn't even look at the sandwich, as it was all wrapped up in paper and only the lettuce and tomato were visible.  I just bit right in.   It was really full of Mayo, but didn't taste a bit like cheese burger!   Well it turned out to be a California Chicken.  It had bacon and some kind of pineapple.  The cheese was white and without any noticeable flavor.

Red Robin offered to fix the sandwich, but I would have had to wait for another while all five grandkids would be done eating and wanting to go home.  So I just stuck with the Chicken.  It was underwhelming.  One of my son's went and asked for a price adjustment, which I wasn't going to make a big deal about.  But the next thing I know, they comped the meal.......   So Red Robin knows how to keep their customers coming back.

That's enough fun for one day, when I am supposed to be sitting at home driving the recliner..........

Retired Rod

Loyce just let Biscuit out, and the snow flakes are about the size of quarters...............

3 comments:

  1. I woke up to snow at 04:30AM here and at 05:00AM Donna told me Shana just called and asked if I could come out and get Adam as they just cancelled his school and he is off tomorrow.So I dressed warm and headed out 25 miles each way in the snow.Last time I had to drive in snow It was in the bus. Anyway I got out there and home safe so now we have 4 days together. I would have just ordered an appetizer to hold me over and sent the chicken packing and then ate my burger at home.Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sure had a busy day...I dont' like the sound of those snow flakes...it will be nice when you can get out of there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow? Time to head to AZ quick, Rod! That's pretty funny about your chicken burger! At least it turned out to be free even if it wasn't as good as the cheeseburger your ordered. Good for Red Robin in comping the meal.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...