Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Go Vote and the computer parts store....

Today the formal business was to be ready when Loyce got home from her doctors appointment to go vote....  This meant that I had to find a sample ballot for our district and see if I could answer the questions...

I never feel good about voting for or against someone when I don't have the foggiest notion who they are or what they stand for....  Of course we all know the big elections because it has been jammed down our throat for weeks on TV...  But what about the county supervisor race...

Aw heck just pic the guy in your favorite party..... Uh, not in Kansas because this is a very Republican state and if there is no Democrat challenger sometimes you will have two Republicans on the final ballot...  Still one has to appeal to you more than the other, if you bother to find out what they want to do or stand for.

So once I determined how I was going to vote then I had to see where the early vote was taking place....  I already knew where the election headquarters in this county were and sure enough that is where we could go...

After that was finished we went to Chic fil A for the premium chicken sandwich...  ( A break from Wendy's)  We brought two of them home for our late lunch...

And then even thou it was only about 57 outside, I dressed and rode the motorscooter up to our local computer parts store...  My wireless mouse has been giving me fits for the last several weeks and I wanted another one....  And a couple of thumb drives to make W8 password key drives out of them..

It is still rather chilly on the scooter but I stayed under 50 mph and was OK for the most part.....  Tomorrow is the lunch, and we are going to a town about 40 miles away..

And then tonight we had the grand kids over here again and I was elected to make the home made mac and cheese....  Lets see, Milk and butter and flour.... Yes I know it by heart....  The kids ate it so it must not have been too bad...

But once I was over here in my corner chair I started on that W8 password key...  and I learned that you have to be signed in on a local password in order to make the little key drive...  I found the instructions and followed them but it took several tries as I wasn't doing it in the right way.....

I had to go into users and create another Rod user that was a local user.... But he had to have administrative rights...  And I gave him a simple password...  It says that you could use a blank password but I didn't try that...

Then after turning the whole machine off and signing back on as the local administrator, the instructions above worked just like they said...  I even tested it like I didn't know the proper word and it worked like a ..... I started to say charm, but that has specific meaning now with the charms bar so I gotta watch that....

The grand daughter and I started to play bejeweled on the W8 machine so that was the end of the computer setup session.....  And of course she uses the Apple at home and wants to drag stuff all over the screen with her fingers...   And has no idea how to use a mouse... what's that for?   See why Microsoft has to get with the program here or they will perish......!!  A mouse might be OK for us older folks but the young people don't see that as intuitive at all.....

Have you sucked it up yet and down loaded your copy of Win 8 ??  You might be able to put it off for a while but then you will pay more money...  But eventually, unless you stop using these blamed machines, its gonna catch up to you........!!

Retired Rod

2 comments:

  1. No Win 8 for me (yet) I'm in the "If it works, don't fix it" crowd.
    Just plugging along here with XP.
    Once upon a time when my wife worked in Horseheads N.Y. we were amazed at the American election process. I have problems enough sorting out the issues in our local city council and whom to vote for, so I'm sure I'd be overwhelmed if we voted for EVERYBODY. It's a little over the top I find.
    I think you draw the line at the local librarian though? Pretty sure.
    She/he gets to keep the job, unless of course they decide to CLOSE the libraries, like the town of Chemong (N.Y.)was going to do in 2001 I think it was. Yes...close the libraries! Is that a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod, you are really tempting me to ignore my own advice and go ahead today and upgrade my desktop to Windows 8 (my laptop is Windows 8). What you are saying is no doubt true enough. Thanks for being so forthright and giving your opinion in a straightforward manner. I'm keeping a close eye on that Jan. 31st deadline and can't see myself passing it up.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...