Thursday, October 4, 2012

Still fixing on that broken mirror....

I always reflect on my activities of the day trying to find something that was the most interesting out of what I have done...  But some days there just isn't much that is interesting....

I think I explained in a past blog how the full length mirror on our motorhome's wall became lose and fell when I was driving last summer...   In the desert heat while the coach was stored, the glue that fastened the mirror to the wall melted..  Also the glass was too heavy for a few remaining brad nails to hold it up.

So I had left this mirror and frame at my son Chris' neighbor's house...  He is a proficient wood worker, building many different things and selling them at country shows here in the midwest....  We would call them flea markets out in the Southwest...

So I went over to Larry's today to pick the re assembled frame and glass mirror back up....  He had installed steel angle brackets on the back of the frame and had re glued the corners and filled he crumbling frame.  It looks as though nothing has ever happened to it from the front.

Together we cut the hardened glue caulk from the back of the glass and reinstalled it into the frame....  And then Larry knew just the place for me to take the mirror to get it recaulked..

After driving to the glass shop and explaining my needs, a fellow came out with a glue gun and climbed into the back of my pickup and re glued the glass into the frame...

I have decided not to put the mirror back into the motorhome for a week or so in order to let the caulk become hard and solidify the bond.   Perhaps one day next week it can be reglued into place on the wall.  But I want to use some screws to hold it in place as well....  It may not look as clean as a factory job, but perhaps it will stay on the wall for a longer time......

And I did go over and get the motorhome, which is parked out at the curb in front of the house tonight...   That breaks the rules, but since it is now midnight and the police haven't come yet, perhaps we will be good to go for a while tomorrow.....

My son Ben and I loaded the portable air conditioner out of the side door tonight, as we probably will not need the unit again this year....  But next summer it will be ready to rip when we travel in the heat again...

And yet again we had the scrub brush out with soap and water washing those pesky black streaks off of the painted sides of the coach.  Seems like I am always washing this dark colored RV....  Do your self a favor and don't purchase a rig with lots of navy blue and black in the paint scheme....

Of course tonight we watched the debates, and then the news coverage after the  candidates were done....  I am amazed at the lack of objectivity in today's news coverage.... MSNBC might just as well have the Democratic party as their network logo....   And we all know that Fox leans far to the Right....  Its like they didn't even watch the same event.!

But not being a political blog, I'll leave my own views out !!

Retired Rod

6 comments:

  1. I haven't begun to read all the crud about the debate. I'm not even sure I want to bother. It just makes me weary. So glad in a way that we didn't have to suffer through it on TV is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be glad when the election is over,I feel like I did the last time, With all the millions of people in the USA is this the best two we can choose from? Have a great week and glue your mirror, then look in it and say Mirror. Mirror on the wall, let's get the hell out of here and head for Arizona. be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sam--is this the best the US can do??? But then this isn't a political blog! I'm with you on the dark colors--since our MH is pink according to the kid in the gas station, it is easier to keep clean than a black or grey one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No triple digits today - supposedly. 99 for a high. They keep promising a cool down - yea right! Better than the snow in Montana though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just don't turn my tv on at all any more. But I quit watching the cable networks a long time ago anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think popcorn sales go thru the roof here in Canada during all the U.S. Election drama - it's great entertainment.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...