Saturday, November 12, 2011

Veterans Day at the Elementary School

Loyce and I ended up over at the Elementary school where Caden and Ema attend 4th and 2nd grade.  They were putting on a Veterans day celebration assembly and all the related service veterans were requested to attend.  Ema had pleaded her case for me to come at the birthday party night before last.

The kids sang songs and they showed a video of solders leaving their families behind as they went off to war.  Being politically correct, they left out any scenes of war activities, thank goodness.  Then the kids all went into the audience and got their parents or grandparents that were veterans and we all crossed up front where the kids had to announce who we were and where we had served and our service branch.

Caden was all set to do it, but then Ema came running up when she saw us in line and didn't give him much of a chance as she grabbed the microphone and rattled off all the pertinent facts.  I think that was alright with Caden, because he seemed nervous about talking in front of the whole school.  But not Ema!

They played more songs and then sang America the Beautiful which was followed by Taps on two bugles.

I always have trouble with Taps, because we used to honor our fallen soldiers in Viet Nam as they were sent home, by bugling Taps under the yardarm flags in our administration circle.  Often times it was a buddy of yours that they were bugling to his resting place, and that was tough!   The bugle has a somber sound and the bugler often time extends the final notes in the cadence which seems to accentuate the finalness of his task.

Dah Dah Daaaaaah,    Dah Dee Deeeeeee,  and at the end, Dee Dah Dah, Dah Dah Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! To this day the tears well up in my eyes every time I hear this eerie sound. Takes me right back, 40 years later....  Luckily the high school fellows that they had enlisted to play the song didn't know how to drag those final notes and I got thru it without loosing it completely.

Without the Principal even saying anything when Taps began, all of the service people stood at attention automatically!  Folks from Iraq and Desert Storm clear back to some very elderly WWII vets.  Time honored and service wide, this tradition is as firm now as it was in WWI.

I'm not sure if the kids understood how powerful these traditions can be, but they are very aware of their surroundings and the actions of their elders, so they will come to understand fairly quickly.

Other than school, we had a fairly quiet day here in Overland Park and Olathe, Kansas.

Retired Rod


7 comments:

  1. I'm Like you Rod, I went to Adam's assembly and I have to admit Tap's is always a tough one for me sometimes even the National Anthem. Everytime they play taps I think of my best friend, a guy who double dated with us for our senior prom and then about two weeks after graduation was drafted and sent in country and killed about a month after getting there.I know your Grands were very proud of your service like the rest of us. Be safe out there, San & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taps has always been hard for me to hear, too. I'm glad to see schools are promoting this sense of gratefulness to our veterans, thank you Rod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that these traditions are being kept alive in the elementary schools so the kids get some appreciation for the sacrifices many have made for them.

    I think it's a wonderful thing for the vets too as when they look at their children and grandchildren it's a reminder that it was all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post Rod! So happy that the schools are doing this.
    I also can relate to the feelings one gets when Tapps is played. I being a vet myself also get that same "lump in the throat" and "tear's in the eyes" when hearing Tapps.

    Thank you Rod and Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taps is always hard for me, especially since we buried my dad (and mom) at the Sacramento Valley National Cemetary last year..The National Anthem always makes me cry..Lee Greenwood, God Bless the USA..I cry as soon as I hear the first notes, as my son left for float when he was in the Marine Corp and that song was playing!...God Bless the USA and all the incredible heroes defending our country...then and now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taps is always hard for me, especially since we buried my dad (and mom) at the Sacramento Valley National Cemetary last year..The National Anthem always makes me cry..Lee Greenwood, God Bless the USA..I cry as soon as I hear the first notes, as my son left for float when he was in the Marine Corp and that song was playing!...God Bless the USA and all the incredible heroes defending our country...then and now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taps is always hard for me, especially since we buried my dad (and mom) at the Sacramento Valley National Cemetary last year..The National Anthem always makes me cry..Lee Greenwood, God Bless the USA..I cry as soon as I hear the first notes, as my son left for float when he was in the Marine Corp and that song was playing!...God Bless the USA and all the incredible heroes defending our country...then and now!!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...