Friday, April 4, 2014

Finally............... W8.1 and a fixed tire.

I just spent the last 2 hours downloading and installing windows 8.1 on my Dell laptop.....   Now that I am here in Kansas City where I have the cable connection, I am not limited to how many gigs I download...

They advertise that W8.1 is 3.5 gig for the update from W8.0...  I only have 4 gigs for all month on my verizon account when I'm away..  Sometimes I set the account up to 6 gigs when I am in Arizona, but even that wouldn't have let me do the update..

So using this computer and its new operating system to update the blog is a beginning test...  I haven't rebooted it yet, but the system reboots several times as it sets up, so I don't anticipate any problems....

Reading Ricks blog this morning, I see that he was fixing a tire so I need to report my experience...

Last fall when we were going to Des Moines for Loyce's arrangements, the last thing I needed was a flat tire.... But that was what I had... Not completely flat but down enough to turn on the yellow low tire light....  This is on the Ford that is here in Kansas...

I aired the tire and went on with the rest of the situation...  But about two weeks later....  The darned light was back on.....    I left the car when I left for Arizona, but found the tire flat when I got back at Christmas....  I have an air compressor here, so I pumped it up again....

And, when I got here again Saturday, you guessed it, it was way low again....  Of course it had been three months, so I aired it again...  Then on Tuesday when it was below freezing, I went to lunch with the Romeos...  But not with the motorcycle.... with the car...

And as I was coming home the yellow light came on ..............again............

That was it, enough of this...   I went straight to my tire shop..    Should have done that months ago...  Where they immediately found a nail right in the middle of the tread...

They disassembled it and patched the hole inside...  Amazing, for only a few bucks and more importantly   it didn't take more than about an hour waiting...

That is the most difficult thing about this new situation...  We went together and dropped off problems and left with the second car...  Now I have to wait while things are fixed...  That's a big change...

So the rest of the week here turned off rainy and then today cold....    I went out for the tax software to put on this computer today and even in the afternoon it was only 43 f...   It wasn't that cold in Arizona except in the middle of the night in January...   I have my coat on here inside the house and the heat is running...

For only about 2 cents, I would go back to the desert.....

Retired Rod

10 comments:

  1. Glad you got the tire problem resolved, one less thing to worry about. We arrived at Hillsdale Lake yesterday, from Phoenix, to visit the grands, must have asked ourselves a dozen times today "what we're we thinking?", "why didn't we go south?". But we will keep bundled up and enjoy our visit. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a weird weather this year. Kansas should have spring temperatures by now. We came home to several inches of snow and ice. But we Canadians have to get back to our cold country. There is only one way: bundle up! Stay warm.
    By the way, we had our fair share of flat tires this fall while going south - we came down with 3! Then we invested in all new ones. Hopefully they will last a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can join the flat tire gang as well. Had one on our way south this past October. Driver's side rear outer dually. Michelin picked up a nail, lost air, heated up, & blew the side wall out.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll send you the two cents. But remember it's going to be in the 90's next week. I don't even want to think about flat tires.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when the tire turns out to have a nail that can be removed and the tire patched, rather than have to buy new tires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't you just file an extension on your taxes so that you can stay in AZ later? All the years that I owned a tax practice, I filed my own taxes in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, That's all I file now is an extension, but with Loyce passing and an Attorney yelling for my signatures and all the papers here in Kansas, I just had to come back....

      Delete
  7. Mike and I have decided we could stand to never be cold again! We are leaving AZ soon and I'm not ready!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's pretty amazing how fast and efficient most tire shops are in fixing flats. I'm with you on the slow, long download of Windows. I just walk away now and come back in a few hours as there's nothing worse than staring at a computer screen doing nothing. I've spent way too many hours of my life doing just that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought a new Dell laptop (purple!) yesterday. I kept getting messages that my desktop with Windows XP installed wouldn't be supported anymore. I have a small Acer netbook with Windows 8.1 that I use when I travel in my RV and it works fine.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...