Monday, August 5, 2013

Thinking about the trip...

For all you folks that suggest we move from Honey Bear Lane here in Overland Park, you just have to understand.....  I am the RVer in the family and Loyce goes along, as long as we get to come home fairly quickly...

She Looooves her house here in OP, so moving won't be an option..... unless its by myself...  So that's not even an option....

With that explained, it was an absolute dismal day here in OP today.... Dawned overcast and rainy and didn't let up all day...  Gray and dank...  And a look at the weather forecast is for more of the same almost every day next week....  I think I'll go buy a new rain suit for riding the bike...

Mid afternoon, I jumped in the SUV and drove over to the storage lot to retrieve a list of stuff that I  (we) forgot to do....   Like throw out the now melted ice cubes in the fridge...  It was a big bucket of water and was drawing moisture and making everything wet inside....

I had left the doors open to the fridge last night, but it was very dark by then so I never saw the cubes....  I reached up and turned off the switch and left....  And we forgot the cupboard above the TV...  Cereal, chips and crackers.. Stuff like that...  Mouse food, if left in there....

And my shoes that I ride the bikes with.....  How do you forget your shoes....?

I was quite tired last night after three days and the Upper Michigan to KC drive...  It turned out to be about a 1000 miles from the Soo area back here thru the UP...

I enjoyed this trip a great deal....  I think Loyce did too...  It was her idea in the first place....  Two of her sisters had gone last year, so I think that played into the sales pitch a great deal...

I added the Shipshewana, Indiana stop thinking the Amish stores would be fun...  But didn't understand that the big flea market was only on Tuesday...  I assumed it would be later in the week...  But then I don't think like the Amish folks.... Still, we got to do some of the regular stores there and then the RV museum in Elkhart...

The time in the KOA at Petosky, Mi was very enjoyable...  A president's award KOA, had almost everything a campground would need, paved and clean...  But it might not be for some folks that want an all outdoor experience like a COE park provides...  Still they allowed camp fires and many folks just have to burn up several bundles of wood each night at $6.50 a pop..

And, if your worried about kids, this place had tons of those wild animals... and may not be for you.  But still it was very pleasant....  Well managed and comfortable...  And the pool and playground was a couple of blocks over.... They had a long term resident loop that was away from the main campground.. These sites rented by the month or year and had numerous park models on them...  Fifth wheels sprinkled in mostly had wheel covers on them, and it might have been a rule..  

We were talking about Mackinac Island as we drove home, reflecting on the experience out there....  First, I smelled horse poop for the next three days...  It's everywhere...!  And you can't walk around or ride a bike without getting it on you...  It rained the day after we were there, and we could only imagine road apple run off...... I finally decided it was still  on my shoes when we were up in the Soo park.  I went and washed them at a laundry tub in the bath house... That helped...

But even with the poop, it is a very laid back experience to ride along at three miles an hour...  Clip clop, clip clop........  The island is hilly and they rested the animals every little bit...  But the drivers didn't rest... they talked on and on...

Our driver that took us out into the wooded part of the trails, knew a lot of the history and never stopped...  It was quite interesting and I would have been complaining if he had not told us all of that...  But I was glad when the final ride down the hill to town had a driver that just taxied us back....

Of course the in town experience was fudge shops and more fudge shops.....  Did I mention T shirts.....  and fudge shops.....   Loyce went into a flag and what knot shop.....  I was bored and sat outside in the street... That's when I got the picture of the UPS guy with his horse cart delivery....

Of course I wanted to rent a Honda 50 scooter....  But even that has a motor which is banned...  People would probably run into each other, or hit a horse or something.....

So if you go,  take plenty of money,  and remember.... Do Not step in Yellow Puddles!!!!!

Retired Rod




3 comments:

  1. Selling your home and moving simply to park an RV never did seem like an idea that would fly with Loyce!

    Your RV trip seemed like a wonderful experience and one I'd like to take sometime. Great recap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All-in-all it sounds like you had a good time. Sure did see some beautiful spots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh don't be scared of a little horse poop. lol Sounds like a wonderful trip

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...