Thursday, June 7, 2012

Today I passed on another luncheon ride.

The folks that ride these luncheon rides went on another ride again today. It was half way across Kansas down where my son's often go camping with their trailers.  But after over 100 miles yesterday, I decided that I am not that strong and healthy to do two days in a row, so I passed on it today..

We do have the annual ride that I went on last year coming up this Saturday, and I do plan on going on that one this Saturday.  It will again be over 100 miles.  So I plan to rest up for it.

We are working as grand parents with our grand kids this week because our DIL is on crutches with a bad foot.  So Grandma is helping out.  That has kind of kept me around here this week as well, so I haven't much to report.

I went out on a ride late in the afternoon for that small burger, and then down to the bike shop in Spring Hill to check on a Helmet that I have on order.  Really it was just an excuse to go on an afternoon ride, since I was passing on what would have turned out to be 200 miles for a luncheon.

And of course I managed to turn down the wrong road when the state had a detour for bridge construction.   This wouldn't have been so bad except the road was gravel....  Have you ever ridden a bike or a motorcycle on a gravel road?  The back end is all squishy and wobbles from side to side.

But it looked to only be a mile, so I went on.  Little did I know that the county had dumped numerous loads of fresh gravel on the road for the second half of the mile.  I was too far into it to turn around, so I traveled on at about 5 miles an hour.  Just enough to keep the bike balanced and not tip over.

I made it to the pavement and breathed a big sigh of relief.   Some folks can do this gravel at 50 miles an hour, but not me!  I usually get on thru it but not when it turns about 4 inches deep.

Anyway another day is in the books.

Retired Rod

4 comments:

  1. Glad you passed on the ride today. We find that one day of driving is about all Jim can deal with and then we need to rest. Enjoy the grands and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two days in a row of anything that requires effort is getting harder and harder as I grow older. Good idea to rest up for the Saturday ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. butterbean carpenterJune 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM

    Howdy Rod,
    Gravel and motorcycles just don't mix!! As a 16 year-old hotshot rider I was
    heading home on a freshly pea-graveled road, 'dancing' the rear end from side to side at about 50mph! All at once the rear-end passed me and I 'laid it down'jerked my leg up on top and grabbed the handle-bar with both hands!! It 'ground' the left handle grip OFF, until the bike slowed down enough to begin sliding into the grass, between the gravel and the 16'deep bar-ditch.. Across the ditch was a five-strand barb-wire fence!! I LET GO and slid in the grass, gravel and landed in the ditch; the bike hit the fence and tangled up in it!! NOOO, I DON'T THINK MOTORCYCLES & GRAVEL ROADS mix very well!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. butterbean carpenterJune 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM

    ADDENDUM PAGE 2:

    THAT IS SUPPOSED TO SAY 16"(INCHES) NOT 16'(FEET)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...