Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Its still nice out here.....

With it being so cold back in the Midwest, I haven't wanted to say much about our weather out here...  My son made the comment that I was rubbing it in when I told him the temperature out here...  But he asked....

I did go out on a 2 hour motorcycle ride on Monday, as it was 68 on the bike dashboard....  That was about the time that the temps were so bad back home...   The problem is that I don't have any bike friends out here, so I ride alone...  Its much more fun when a couple of you go off to a luncheon that is in a distant city or town.  And then hang out together at that restaurant...

We tend to take over almost every place we go for an hour or so...  But we show up at 11 or before, so usually we're gone before the regular lunch crowd... Anyway, it isn't the same stopping by a distant Wendy's....  LOL

I thought my cold or what ever it is was getting much better, but then today I woke up right back where I started last Saturday with my chest burning and coughing....  I can hope for it to go away, but perhaps the doctor will be the alternative of choice....

It kind of frightens me to be all alone and sick....  Its amazing how you take care of each other... Wouldn't worry about it except diabetes can make you go wacko when your blood sugar is too far out of line....

Biscuit doesn't know how to call the people that can help....

Retired Rod

13 comments:

  1. You're right about that, so go to the doctor and have her/him check it out. I have always told my single adult sons to let someone know they are ill whether it is a neighbor or a cross-country friend. Someone will check on them. You might want to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe one of those medical alert gizmos would be a good idea for you ? As in "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up"? But then maybe with diabetics there isn't time or awareness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanted to add that I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rod, you're doing super !!!! Can't believe how you have weathered the storm since Loyce died ... You have done such a good job of picking up the pieces and making the best of things ...Along the way , being sick a couple times too !!! Great that you get out and take the bike rides ....like you say, to bad there isn't someone else or a couple guys to ride to lunch with like you do in KC .....
    Grab some OJ to help with the colds ... Can't hurt .... Take good care and again you are amazing the way you have handled things ...... Biscuit has been a trooper too !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Enjay, go to the doctor. Is there not a motorcycle club in Mesa that you could join?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with SallyB's comment--you have done so well Rod!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about the cold, Rod, but otherwise you've been a real trooper and an inspiration to the rest of us. Don't forget - you may feel like you're alone sometimes but you never are. All your blogland friends are always thinking about you and hoping you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cudos on how far you have come. I agree one of those emergency things might be a good idea, better to have and not need than the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was alone for 15 months when my husband was in Taiwan & Vietnam so I know it can be scary to be sick & alone. My advice go to the Dr sooner rather than later, I also agree with the above posters that you have done admirably at least outwardly. I became a follower through Bloglovin about the time that your wife passed. BTW, my husband delivered newspapers to most of Urbandale having both his and his brother's routes. Wish I was there instead of here in Mitchellville, IA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you not a member of AMA? Not sure what brand of bike you ride but most HD shops have a lunch run on Sat morning. I've never seen anyone turned away for riding a rice burner. Here in Texas we have TMRA, Texas Motorcycle Roadriders Association, and almost every weekend there is a run somewhere. Hit some of the shops that sell your brand of ride and see if there is a local club you can ride with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a member of GWRRA which is gold wing specific... I haven't had much luck with Harley folks.. They won't even wave at you on the road... They kind of tolerate you... My suspenders on my riding pants say Harley on them, and I got chewed out for wearing them on the Goldwing, by some not so well meaning Harley guys...

      Delete
  11. Lots of good advice from everyone & I can only echo what they have all said & suggested. You don't want to have come so far then be sidelined by an illness. A weakened mental state invites the physical nasty's. You got lots of folks pulling for you out here...............

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always fought the idea of getting one of those medical alert things, especially since I'm 1.5, 7, and about 12 miles from three of my kids. But I know the time will come when I'll want to have the peace of mind that I could get help quick. Of course I will have to then stop camping, hiking, driving alone across the county, etc. I think you are doing great. Living alone is a whole different ballgame, and no one can really understand the little problems and things unless they've been there. The loneliness is the worst part. Hang in there Rod!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...