Monday, January 13, 2014

Jeep needs towed....

I ordered a base plate for the front of the Jeep Wrangler...  The part you connect your tow bar too to tow it down the highway with the motorhome...  I looked at the difficulty of installing it and it was rated a 2 out of five...  Drill 4 half inch holes... Didn't seem too bad..  Price was cheaper off of Amazon....

I opted for the 5-8 day shipping that would be free...  That was last Thursday...  About midnight Thursday night, I was emailed that it was shipped... Humm, same day...  But then I noticed it would be there on the 10th... which was tomorrow...  What the heck...?

And about 7 PM on Friday the door bell rang and it was the UPS driver with the big 42 pound box....  Shaking my head, I checked the tracking..  and it came from ........... Phoenix..  The return label said Kentucky, but that obviously didn't mean anything...

The shipping was free, but I was charged tax since it didn't leave the state...

But...... reading the instructions I learned the front bumper of the Jeep has to be removed before you drill those 4 holes...  I'd bet it weighs 100 pounds... Wouldn't be a big deal back in Kansas, as I would put the floor jack under it and lower it to the deck...

Of course out here, I would have to go buy another floor jack..  And it was a stretch to drill the holes, because I would have needed to go get a half inch drill at Harbor Freight...  I do think there is an electric 3/8ths in the motorhome bins but that would need a step up drill bit...  So what the heck..

I went over to the Trailer place that fixed the axle on the utility trailer and have an appointment to get them to deal with the big bumper.  I probably saved enough getting the plate off of the internet to pay for the installation.... but time will tell...

I also have a Patriot Brake Box and it was dead all summer if it wasn't plugged into the car.. Its internal battery was deader than a door nail...  I couldn't get the case apart because it had really deeply set phillips screws... I could get four of them out with the longest driver I had, but not the fifth...

So I made a point to look all over the Home Depot for a driver that would work...  And sure enough, they had a Kline 7 inch #2..  That opened the thing right up..  Of course because it was a Kline, it was a $10 screw driver...

The battery is a little lead acid cell, that was sourced from batteries plus for $25...   The guy went right over to the shelf and picked out a replacement without even looking the numbers up.....  So that's back together and more importantly back alive...

I have been riding the motorcycle in the afternoon for the last two days... its been in the high 60s both of the afternoons, and perfect for bike rides...

Retired Rod


6 comments:

  1. All good and as of today you have Al diving in the Cookie Butter !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We head out with what we think are sufficient tools to do most repairs but inevitably, we have to make that trip. I do however carry a 10" long Philips driver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing I didn't need a tool to get the lid of the Cookie Butter or there would have been hell to pay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are able to ride. I have been reading blogs sporadically since I've been recovering from surgery, and remember seeing several suggestions for you to find a group to ride with. Hope you've looked into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I have done the same. I found all my old hitch and equalizer bar and plan on attaching it to the new trailer. Hope all goes well so I can save some $.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...