Sunday, January 19, 2014

Wiring extra bulbs in the Jeep's Tail Lights..

Just as I was complaining that UPS didn't deliver my Amazon package, but rather sent it to the Post Office.... And the package had disappeared with no tracking info available.....

With a reticent attitude, I went to the mail box on Saturday afternoon, and there was the package...  The post office added only one extra day....  So... I ordered on Tuesday and it was here on Saturday...  A total of 4 days from Texas...  This was the free shipping as I am not a Premium member.  That's really a good deal..  I did have to pay sales tax however... My complaining wasn't warranted..!



I wanted to do this wiring project myself, because when I have hired it done in the past, they poke the wires along the frame next to the exhaust pipes...  The heat tends to melt the wire insulation... But that doesn't happen right away, but rather a couple of years later... After you can't go back and complain.. Sometimes they wrap the wires around the gas line like they did in the Honda CRV.. Electric wires around the gas pipe.......? What could possibly go wrong with that...

So I spent this afternoon engineering how I was going to install these light bulbs...  You have to take the tail lights out of the vehicle and drill a 1" hole in the side of the plastic light housing on each side...  I had seen on the internet how this was to be done, and drilling the hole wasn't too bad using a spade bit and running it backwards in the drill...  I can't remember who taught me that, but essentially you rub your way thru the plastic and it doesn't break...

The longer project is running the wire away from the exhaust... I decided to run it down the center of the Jeeps frame..  So with the various holes drilled along the frame and a coat hanger as a fish tape, I pulled the wire all the way to the front...

A larger project was to run the tail light wire from the passenger side across under the carpet to the drivers side of the Jeep... Its always such a puzzle to get things apart.  Of course I solder and tape all the connections rather than using the crimp splices that they provide....  All of this takes time.... but then I have a lot of that.....

I still have to put the connector on the front of the tow bar, and go over to the motorhome and figure out how it is wired...  For some reason, the round 7 connector on the back of the rig isn't wired like a standard connector...

Other than going to church this morning, that was my entire day....

Retired Rod

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Rod, sounds like you have the project all figured out and almost there ! That was good on the shipping ..... To bad you were not able to make it to the Q sure seems like everyone else is there !!!! Something I have never experienced but I am getting the picture from those who are there..... Have a good time while your friend is visiting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you had a busier day than I did here at DPS. Church first thing in the morning, then a wagon ride in the afternoon and the day was over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll tackle trying to install new wiring on my utility trailer when I get back home. It's all messed up, broken and cut and doesn't work anymore. I guess I need to start with a kit and see how it goes. Your efforts have inspired me to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made that job sound too easy.
    There is a website that shows how all trailer plugs are wired. Sorry I do not remember it's name, great site though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do make it sound pretty easy, and you do it with a lot more attention than if you hired it done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For those that might need the diagrams on how to wire a trailer socket or plug on connection wire please see this:
    http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a daughter in law with one of those fancy Amazon Prime accounts with free 2-day shipping. For future reference......

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...