Saturday, March 15, 2014

Planting Biking and Basketball

My week here has been about the same day after day....  I have been out in the cool of the morning digging in the yard to replace some of the bushes that died last summer....  I thought about replacing them last fall, but a year ago last winter it froze solid in January, so I thought it best to wait...

And as you probably know, we have had outstanding weather here this winter and it would have been fine to replant things last fall...  I don't go after this job with much exuberance as after all I am retired...

I just replant a couple of bushes each day and then go inside for a shower...  After cleaning up, it is time to go for an extended motor cycle ride....  Usually with a list of groceries or something to make a nice stop at a distant Wal Mart...  Our wally world here on Signal Butte is the most overwhelmed store....  You can't find a parking spot and it takes forever to get thru the checkouts...

So riding off to a store 8 or 10 miles away becomes a destination and a nicer ride... One day I went to the city offices and changed the name on the water bill... It was in Loyce's name since she had signed us up for that service...

That turned out to not be too big of a deal..  I was armed for bear with copies of my gas and electric bill in my name, since I had already changed those....  But as it turned out, none of that was needed...  Just a copy of my Kansas drivers license, and an oral statement confirming her passing...

Otherwise I have been into college basketball this weekend...  Watching Iowa get their butts kicked by Northwestern....  who were seeded 11th..  Let's see, broken hearted, dismayed, mad....  Some of the adjectives that come to mind...

Then Kansas gets beat by Iowa State...  I didn't know how to root for that match up...  I live in Kansas about 30 miles from Lawrence....   But I do root for any Iowa team, as long as they aren't playing the Hawkeyes...  I was a little miffed that Kansas didn't have their big inside center player as he was out with back spasms...

But then tonight, Iowa State beat Baylor for the conference tournament title....  So perhaps Ks couldn't have done that anyway...  It made for really good basketball...

So everything is fine here...

Retired Rod

5 comments:

  1. I hate going to that Walmart over on Signal Butte. I don't like ours over here either but it's not near as crowded as yours. Don't watch basketball so good luck to all the teams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Walmart the only store in Signal Butte? I shop almost anywhere to avoid WM!

    I've been thinking about planting some lemon trees along my back fence, but don't know if I've waiting too long. They probably should have been planted a month or two ago. Hope your bushes live well and prosper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely the time of the year for college basketball with the onset of March Madness about to begin. Hope your teams do well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Changing the name on the bill must have been a bit sobering. At least it wasn't much of a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rod..I'm having a problem with Blogger..when I go to dashboard and sign in, I get to a page that says I don't have a blog !! HMMM!! There's no "pencil" to create a new entry. I checked out the forum to no avail..have you ever had this problem?? I enjoy your blog daily. Keep up the good job.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...