Thursday, December 10, 2015

Still here

I haven't gone anywhere, I'm still right here...   But about a week before Thanksgiving, I was working out in the garage hanging some tool racks on the walls with long screws into the wall studs...

The house in now several years old and the studs are now dried out  and hard to screw into..  To gain leverage, I had set a ladder up against the wall and was up a couple of steps, pushing on the drill.  You can see what's coming..  The ladder tipped over and I stepped backwards down to the floor all at once.

Of course there was a rake handle on the floor and I didn't catch myself at all..  Going down hard on my backside.  I got up and shook myself out and went on with the work...  But......

Or maybe I should say BUTT..  Cause in a couple of hours that was where the major league pain was located.   And as the days progressed, it hurt more and more..

Seems like I was better when I was standing up but sitting and going to bed.............   I tried to ride the motor cycle, but that only lasted between here and Wal Mart..  And I was in nasty pain on the way back.

In the mean time I had a new Sway bar come in for the Can Am and I laid on the garage floor with my jacks and stands installing that.  I took it really slow and thought surely I would be better in the morning...  I went once around the block to make sure it was installed correctly but came directly back....

The long and short of it, is that I have bruised or sprained my tail bone, and there isn't anything you can do but just wait for it to heal..  I've purchased a couple of different cushions here locally and off of Amazon and a big bottle of Tylenol..

Some of my buddies back in Kansas tell me it might be months before I can ride the bike....  I guess it can really take a long time to get back right...

So I have had nothing of interest to report here in Arizona other than lounging around on my side on the couch watching TV and reading the posts here on the internet...  I think it is slowly improving, but I went to church on Sunday and sat on the hard chairs which caused a re laps of pain for the rest of the day.

I'm hopeful to return to KC to see the grandkids for Christmas, but at this point I will just have to grin and bear it for the 20 plus hours it takes to get back there....

Retired Rod

9 comments:

  1. Feel your pain, big guy or rather glad I don't. If you read my post last month or so, when I crashed my kite and fell on my butt. It hurt for weeks. You may want to swap NSAID's from time to time. Tylenol is processed out your liver and Motrin is processed out your kidneys. Just something my docs have suggested to me. Hope you recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rod--you could have had a BIG accident! I'll add my two cents worth to your medication regimen-Tylenol is not an NSAID and a NSAID (if your stomach can handle them) might be better for what ails you--Advil (Motrin) or Aleve. Tylenol is a pain/fever reliever and NSAID are anti-inflammatory drugs--I would bet your tailbone is mighty inflamed! Hope you heal quickly and can get on the road back to Kansas for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all kinda of trouble in the stomach. Can't do Nsaids..

      Delete
  3. Rod, safety 1st NEVER get on a ladder by yourself. Have someone there to hold it steady. I am 66 and the wife is always reminding me of that. Just sayin....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, I am all by my self in this world.. Only the dog and me..Especially in Arizona.

      Delete
  4. Sure sorry this happened and put such a crimp in your activities this winter. My ortho surgeon told me to take Motrin when I broke my ankle and ruptured my Achilles tendon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely empathize with you as I developed sciatica back in October. It took a full 5 weeks to go away and in the meantime I couldn't take any kind of pills - I did try Aleve and thought I was having a heart attack. I hope you are using ice packs, which worked for me for a while, and then I found that moist heat worked better after a few weeks of the ice. Time is the main factor though. Hope you are feeling much better by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Rod. So sorry to hear about your accident! Ladders are dangerous as we age. I can count people who ended up in hospital, paralyzed, or in a coma, or?? My husband has orders from me to be sure he never gets on one when alone. ( I 'm not saying he listens.) would be terrible if you couldn't get to Kansas for Christmas. Maybe somebody could come help you on the drive. The one position with no breaks is what's bad! Will be watching. Maybe this time there won't be that quick flip from one place to the other.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...