Friday, August 31, 2012

Images saved on Picasa to be used as embedded items.

OK Rick, its your fault!  Ya, Rick Doyle up there on Vancouver Island, he had to go and write a blog about Picasa Web albums.  And I've used Picasa as an editor on my photos that reside on my machines here at home...

And of course as I save the pictures that go into my blogs, they all end up on Picasa in a restricted album...  Limited to  "look at it if you know the web address"...  And you do know the address because you read this blog which links you to those pictures...

But do I use the services of the Web Albums to copy all my pictures up to and store them......???  Well,, No.....  I sort of wish I had, because I had that hard drive failure, and it would have been really nice to just copy all of it back down again, but...  My picture files are too large to copy original sized pictures out on the cloud.... and still be free...  And I am cheap so free is mandatory...

It seems that I have some pictures almost all over the place....  From years ago when I was using Yahoo for the blog, I had and still have a flickr account...  I have left the pictures there because they link into those old blogs...  But I can't find those old blogs any more...  I think Yahoo took them down....

In more recent times, I began to use Photo Bucket...  Mostly because I was involved with Watchgeeks.....  In order to drop a picture into a thread or comment under someone else's thread, you have to have a picture host..  A place to store your picture on the internet, because the software that runs these forums can't or doesn't store pictures... It only stores links to where these pictures are stored on the internet...

Photo Bucket allows pictures to be stored out there and provides four different types of links to copy and paste into the forums....  And it works!!  And its Free!!  But I have never been able to find the way to use Picasa Web Albums as a link, or a storage place for other things beyond Google plus, or these blogs....

Yes you can put up an Album, and copy that link onto this blog and have folks go up there and look at your photos about a subject or place you visited..  But I have never understood the HTML statements required to drop pictures into forums or pinterest and that kind of stuff.....

Oh, sure you can pin stuff from somewhere else on the web to your own pinterest account, but how do you pin your own pictures.....?  Save them to Photo Bucket and then try and decide which of the four available linking codes go into the service to which you are trying to embed...  And I have a bunch of pictures of watches that I did embed into Pinterest just to learn how...  From Photo Bucket, but not Google.

So that study was brought about today because of Rick and his post..  Encouraging me to use Picasa Web Albums...  Or Google Plus Web Albums as they are changing the name and moving us all over...

Eventually I was successful in using the Picasa location, but I had to code the HTML language myself....  [IMG]  https://www.webhost location and serial number [/IMG]...  But that is beyond this post's scope...   And that is only one of four ways depending on where it is going....

Now to their defense, Picasa does offer two of the formats over on the right hand side of the picture when you are viewing it.  After you click on a share image statement...  If you need more in depth explanation, leave a comment and I will try to write it up...

Anyway its a whole lot easier to just save them up to photobucket and copy their offered links, and save them into your forum.  Again, I have stumbled on this as well trying to add comments to the Romeo Riders forum... But their software seems to want yet a different form than the watch geeks....

Well that killed most of the afternoon, and I had wasted the morning mowing the lawn, and trimming the hedges in front of the house...  It was over 90, and I had to quit......

And tonight, I spent the evening watching the political convention, which again is well beyond the scope of this blog....  And yes I will watch the one next week as well, to see what form of truths they will present as well....

But anyway the answer is yes you can use Picasa to store pictures that are embedded into other posts...  But you may have to know the actual HTML code to make them appear as pictures and not just the location that links the pictures.....

Retired Rod

3 comments:

  1. Well! What a revolting development this is! I am simply your humble messenger offering assistance and guidance where and when I can. Now, I wake up, read your post and it feels like this humble messenger is about to be shot as in days of yore!!

    So, let me try again. For photos stored in Picasa Web Albums, Rod, you actually CAN link to an individual photo and display it in your blog. To do this, you have to sign in to Picasa Web Albums, display the single photo then on the right hand side click on 'Link to this Photo'.

    Next, copy the code in the 'Embed Image' box after using the down arrow below to select the image size.

    Here's the trick though - now that you have the embed link copied, when you go to Live Writer to embed it in your post, you MUST put LW in 'Source Code' mode before pasting the link. If you use Blogger Editor then make sure the Editor is in 'HTML' mode.

    If you follow the above method, then you will be able to link directly to individual photos stored on Google Web Albums - I've used this quite a bit in the past.

    As for Google+, while it is possible to link directly to an Album in G+ from code embedded in your post, there is as yet no way to link directly to an individual photo in that album. Maybe that is coming in the future, I don't know.

    But, you CAN use the 'embed' code from Picasa Web Albums.

    Good blog, I enjoyed reading it this morning and got a good chuckle out of your rant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a couple of conversations with my much esteemed colleague, Rod, it looks like I completely misunderstood his point. While Picasa Web Albums does offer 'embedding' of a single photo in a blog, it doesn't not provide the IMG SRC code for linking required by non-google forms and other sites. So, Rod is absolutely correct and like he says, I too use Photobucket on occasion to accomplish what he is talking about.

      I agree with Rod, Google and Picasa could make this whole process a lot easier but I suppose they just don't want to become a photo host site like PhotoBucket, Flickr and others.

      So, after all this, I guess I now have to accept Rod's blaming me for leading him to Picasa Web Albums. Dang, I hate that!

      Delete
    2. Hey Rick I wasn't blaming you, I was trying to use mother google for everything like they want us to do... You know, "drink the coolaide" !!!

      Delete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...