Thursday, December 20, 2012

Grandkids and Phone devices...

I think I will need to go back over to Lowes tonight and buy one of those bigger snow machines..  Our weather decreased from just cold to damp and cold to completely overcast and darned cold.  To rain and thunder...

We had one of the grand kids come over about noon, so she has kept us busy during the morning while I was waiting for the Fed Ex man to bring the new phones and hot spot...

I only put the gas fired heater on the floor with the LP pig back behind the couch...  And let it run...  It has run all day and mostly all the time all day...  We might have had about a fourth of the bottle left when I started but it is very empty now...

I'm not too sure that we will continue with it once we empty the little bottle, but it felt good while it lasted...  And we now know for sure the heater works...

At 3 PM the overnight driver arrived with our new devices and that began the marathon of authenticating and configuring...  I am about blind now...And since one phone is an apple and the other an android, I have to continually rethink what I am about to do....  Really they are quite similar.  Some of the wording is different but the tasks are the same....

Apple gives you less control and has less devices to manage...  I used the linux internet connection with chrome to check in on the Verizon web site to initialize each device...  Just told the computer to turn each one on in turn and in a few moments they were running....

The android phone came shipped with 4.0.4 which is the latest ver of ICS  ice cream sandwich...  But before long it went into a routine of updating the system... Once I signed it onto the hardwired wifi..  Now it reports 4.1.1  which they call Jelly Bean..

That is the latest version that I have on the Asus pad...  Which I am writing this blog on currently...  I need a keyboard to type a blog....

And I had a big dust up with the Jetpack mifi...  It comes with security turned on and a preset ID name...  And in the tiny teny print the security pass code is printed....  I tried and tried to get signed on...  It was working and reported everything was fine.... But I couldn't sign on.....

Typed in the code over and over...  Tried the desktop, laptop, and the tablet... no go.  Finally I looked a little harder, and one of the characters that I was reading as a 1 turned out to be an f.  I showed it to Loyce, and she read it to me right away as an f, and didn't even know about my mistake.....  I guess I'm just going blind...

These devices are going to take a bit more work in the future, but then that's what you get them for, so you can mess with them for weeks....

The rain is to turn to snow before morning so maybe it will be a white Christmas before we get back out of here..... I can't wait!!!

Retired Rod

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got everything up and running, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you know what you're doing. LOL Our temps are headed back up again and the sun is shining so I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing I like better than trying to outwit the geeks who designed these 'simple setup' procedures. Must be fun going back and forth from Apple to Android. I'm still making changes to my iPad and I've had it for a few weeks now.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...