Saturday, April 28, 2012

Storm damage, What storm damage?

That storm damage on the front of the house bothered me every time I woke up last night, and I just couldn't understand what was going on.....


See up there on the edge of the garage roof where there is a piece of the styrofoam gone and the tar paper is messed up on the roof?



Here I zoomed in on it!  This is with my android phone, so the photo quality isn't the greatest.....  The chicken wire is pulled back to the corner and the foam was on the ground.  Could wind tear off the chicken wire......??

I rode the motor scooter over there this morning, and took these pictures....  Then I went and found the sales lady wondering about this, and if they had seen it......

The short version was that Todd the construction foreman on my build had seen the way the flashing was done under the foam and that a piece of the wood underneath wasn't right, so he made them rip it out!!  He said "that's not storm damage, its rough in carpenter damage!!"  evidently this is what it looks like now that the wood is correct...  The lathers will come on Monday and fix the foam and wire.......

Again this guy is picky, and he won't cover over anything that he doesn't think is right...  So I think it is OK to just go on home and let him handle all of this....  He is far better at it that I would ever be!  I just need to put my complete faith in him!!

We spent the rest of the day working on the motorhome and utility trailer getting things back together for travel.  Tonight the trailer is hooked up to the truck and most of our stuff is in the pickup ready for our departure tomorrow.

Really late in the day, the sale folks decided we needed to go sign an additional addendum for the security system fiasco.  It didn't change the price, but makes their bookkeeping correct so the vendor can get paid....   Of course that took about 2 hours as we had to go look at what had happened during the day as well.

I didn't take any pictures, but the dry wall delivery was made....  All double pack sheets of 12 foot long wall board.  Carried in 2 sheet packs and placed in the various rooms where it will be put on the walls..........  I want to stay and see this..............but our rent is up in the morning...........  Just have to trust Todd!!!!  He's picky, more picky than I am,,,  I trust,,,, I trust.....

We are going to leave tomorrow!!!  Can't stay here for the next ten weeks!!!!

Retired Rod







7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a foreman that knows his stuff and will be looking out for your best interests in your absence. The good news is you will come back to a beautiful home...but it is difficult waiting. Safe and happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how difficult it is for you to leave when you'd like to be there monitoring everything that is being done. Todd sounds ok, and I hope he keeps your best interests first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be thankful you don't have to lift one single sheet of those 12' dry wall boards. My back gets sore just thinking about it.

    Todd sounds like just the kind of guy you want to have as a foreman. Have a safe trip home and try not to worry about the house, it will all work out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with wanting to have everything correctly done! My DH (husband) has been connected to the construction industry in bridges and public structures for a long time. He is constantly aware of that one, lone worker who cuts corners. BUT, your Todd is the substitute YOU (and for others like my DH)who want things done right the first time. It's his rep that is at stake, as well as your home. So go home with assurance that Todd wants this up to par as much as you do. Lucky you!

    Emjay

    ReplyDelete
  5. butterbean carpenterApril 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM

    Howdy Rod,
    I'm glad you've found an honest foreman/builder(ain't that a kick)!! Thatz what my boy's hanchaks called themselves, also!! Todd sounds like the genuine item... Go on and get out of that heat; come back when you can breathe cool air.. Yeah, I know you can't breathe in the humiditity on the river, either..
    Personally I'd take the Arizona HOTT HEAT, instead!!! Have a safe trip back across Kansas..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have a winner in Todd, would have been different if you had been the one to see something and had to point it out to him, but he was the one that saw it and rather than glossing over he had it ripped out....our son worked rehabbing for resale, sometimes the investor wanted corners cut and he wouldnt as he said it was his name and reputation....same thing with Todd he doesnt want his name smeared by bad work....I believe that the majority of construction people are honest, you just hear more about the bad ones...seems as though you can rest easy with Todd at the helm.

    Donna W

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be safe going home. I know we didn't get together this time but hopefully in the fall your house will be ready and Jim's body will be healed so we can go party at Skies again.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...