Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Superdome Power Outage/ Bike ride for a flower....

I was surfing the web trying to decide what actually happened to the power at the Super Dome last night...  Boy mum is the word for my searches...  No one is saying anything....

I finally found one site where they explained that a piece of equipment that monitors the condition of the power and the amount of current draw had sensed an anomaly and had powered down one of the major feeds from the power company....

I had visions of the many power closets all over the stadium with dropped breakers..  And way too few people that had authority and the keys to these facilities...  Just having the knowledge about where these lockers were located and how to recognize the tripped breakers would be huge..

Remember that this place runs on 208 volt three phase lines for its most simple power, so its not like going to the basement and snapping a few switches...    Much of the power is measured in the thousands of volts....  So 34 minutes was probably quite good for a response time...

Word had it that Beyonce had her own generators for the special effects and lasers for her show, so she wasn't to blame at all...

I waited until this afternoon when it was 70,  and took the Goldwing out for another long ride to our South..  Down Ironwood Rd several miles at highway speeds.. Used the cruise control for most of it...  That's a cool option on a bike...

Just beyond the intersection with Octillo is a greenhouse that I have visited several times before...  Its named A & P, reminding me of the old grocery store chain...

So I went inside and out the back doors into the bushes and trees...  They have some, and most were not damaged from the cold... But I was on the bike so I only purchased a small flower with tiny red blooms on it.....  Stuck it in the saddle bag on the right side with my jacket liner wrapped around it...

They hope to have a lot more bushes in a few weeks, but again were worried about the possibility of an upcoming freeze...  But they had a big plastic enclosed hot house that was full of plants...

My glasses immediately fogged over when I stepped in there....  But I didn't want to take plants out of that protection and expect them to survive 35 degree nights, like we are supposed to have this weekend...

I'm just nervous that we lost so much of our plantings and want to do something.....  Anything.....

Loyce was surprised when I gave her the flower after I came back from the ride....  "How'd you carry that in the bike, she asked?"

It does have rather large bins on the back, if you open them up...

Retired Rod

2 comments:

  1. I still think it was Beyonce who blew the lid off of the dome and killed the power. Let the conspiracy theories begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. butterbean carpenterFebruary 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM

    Howdy Rod,
    What did all of the specpotators do while the lights were out at the Super Bust, for 34 minutes???
    I thought y'all bought that place for the 'warm' weather!!! 70* ain't too bad, tho!!! Glad you're getting use to the bike and making short trips, on it; maybe by the time you return to KC your confidence will be so the Interstates won't bother you!!! BUT WATCH OUT FOR 4-WHEEL idjitz, they'll get you!!! Trips are more fun if you take your time, get on the 'blue-roads', CRUISE along and see the sights!!!

    Hope you have 70+* for a while, now!!!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...