Thursday, October 11, 2012

Getting Ready for the Southwest

I had a lot of things planned for this morning, but going into the master bathroom and disassembling the commode wasn't in the plan...  But we got a gigantic water bill.....

And mostly, I think the broken pipes from the outside irrigation system were the culprit.   We think that the water had been running underground before the big break that caused the street flood...

Our neighbor to the West was all over that event, turning off the water supply at the irrigation valve.  It only ran about a half an hour...  But since we do not need anymore of those nasty bills, lets get the running toilet fixed while we are at it...

This house is only six years old, but the stuff that goes into homes these days barely lasts.  I decided to go get a flapper valve first and then adjust the float once the big hole in the bottom of the tank was closed...

I took the motorcycle over to Lowes, and it was really cool in the early morning....  And naturally they didn't have a ball flapper that had the exact same length in the arms....  Again, the cheap toilets were made in Siberia or somewhere remote like that....

Once home with a close as possible part, I spent the next part of an hour adjusting things to make it work....  And the water only runs when the handle is pushed!!!  Nice...

The next step was back on the scooter and about 20 miles to the South and our local RV dealership, where I purchased an Onan Generator oil filter and an anode rod for the water heater...    Ours could be used longer, but why not replace it while its out...

The next stop was to make an appointment at the Freightliner repair shop for the annual oil change......  And they had a spot for tomorrow, so I took it..  This is pricey work, but I changed the oil at home one year and it was such a mess with 17 quarts of dirty used oil to deal with... So I'll have to pay..

After a Wendy's, I was back at home changing oil in things that can't be taken to the Jiffy Lube, or Wal Mart...  First the motor cycle...  I paid to have it changed last spring, and they hit me $257...  For four quarts and a filter...  Not doing that again........!

It did take me the best part of 2 hours to take the plastic sides off and get it changed... And that is why it costs so much..  Its not hard, just slow...  And I am slower, but retired....

So since I was already oily, I tackled mister John Deere next...  He only holds a quart and a half, but having him picked up from the dealer and worked on and then delivered back, makes the motorcycle seem cheap...

So that was our day here, as when I was cleaning up, the sun began to set...  And once the sun is gone the cold comes rushing in.....

After I get the motorhome engine serviced, I will have to bring the rig back here and change that genny....  It takes three quarts and a filter, but you have to disassemble the big green case that covers the engine to get at the filter... They say you can reach up inside from the bottom, but I have never been able to...

We do most of this stuff every year getting ready for the Southwest.......

Retired Rod

1 comment:

  1. Our fairly new toilet was running the other day and when I went to fix it I noticed it didn't have the usual 'ball assembly'. Instead, I just had to turn a little thumbscrew a tad and the water stopped running - simple and amazing!

    You sure are good at making sure all your equipment is well maintained as far as oil changes go. It's a good thing you can do all that by yourself. I know I'd be covered in oil from head to foot if I did it.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...