Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Trailer is repaired...

Ok, when I wrote the post yesterday, the thought that weed police might somehow refer to wacky tobacky never even occurred to me...  And we don't live in a gated community either...  We live on an ordinary city street, in an ordinary neighborhood of families of every nature...

But this big housing development does have a homeowners association to keep the common grounds up and what ever else they do for over $100 a month from each of us.... But they do have some form of enforcement if you step too far out of line.....  Just let me put up a 60 foot tower with a ham radio antenna on it, and I will hear from them in a heartbeat.

I waited well past noon for the call from the trailer repair place.......   No call forthcoming... What to do.....?  I decided to go and deal with them face to face....

Seems that I got lucky again...  The axle spindle was not damaged, but they had a dickens of a time getting the heated outside bearing off of the shaft...   This is just like commenter Tom suggested in his comment of a couple of days ago...  Evidently the hub was damaged as well, either in the process of getting the outer race off of the axle or from running so long without bearings..  But a lot of torch heating and pounding was required....  I don't have a torch here, and after about so long, frustration would have set in on my part as well...  So it turns out best that I simply hired this work done...

It was over $200 for parts and labor, but at $85 an hour, that seems fair in the big city....  They even took the other side apart and re packed it with grease as well...  The trailer is now back in storage with a very greasy wheel to atest to the experience...  Degreaser and a power washer will be in order when it gets back here to the house...

Speaking of a power washer, I went to Home Depot and purchased their cheapest power washer...  $99...  The birds have roosted on our wrought iron dining set in the patio during the summer...  They have Pooed all over it and the concrete patio...  The black table is mostly bird poo white...  And using a broom and the hose was ineffective...

So I spent much of the late afternoon power washing the back patio and table and chairs...  I would wash things up and let them dry for a while, only to find out it still turned white with poo again as it dried..  The sun finally went down, so perhaps tomorrow I will be back at it again.... But it is much cleaner tonight than it was before I started...

I will also use this washer to clean the outside of the motorhome when I get it back over here in the next few days....  The trip out here covered the front with bugs, and the rain coming out of Albuquerque on Friday made the entire rig a sloppy mess...

Not much else to report from here...

Retired Rod





























































































8 comments:

  1. Glad you got that bearing fixed pretty reasonably. Bird poop white is not a good color :) good luck on the cleaning endeavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power washing job sounds messy. Yuck.

    Happy to hear your bearings are now functioning the way they should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the bearing issue was resolved at not too great a price.

    As far as bird excrements they are very acidic and if left sitting on painted surfaces for long periods of time will discolor the object. In other words if you want the furniture back to its original color you will have to repaint it. Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am afraid I have to agree with Rick and Kathy. After sitting for so long I don't think you are going to be able to get that bird poop off. Good luck with it though. Maybe try some CLR on it first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like you. Another meaning of "weed police" never occurred to me, either! Glad to hear that the trailer fix wasn't as bad as it could've been. Do hope you are able to get the patio set clean enough that you don't have to repaint. Guess you'll have to cover it or move it inside next time you leave?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds to me like you are really 'cleaning up' there in Arizona, Rod. I think the price you paid for all that axle work was well worth it. It seemed very reasonable to me.

    Good luck with the lawn furniture - should be some kind of cleaner available but I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy Rod,
    Just read the last weeks blogs and you been having fuunnn, ain'tcha ?? You're doing something RIGHT, to have such luck.. What's with the wacky terbacky stuff, it's not legal in Asrizonia, like Colorado ?? Guess not, NOT WITH SHERIFF JOE around... You & me both would've DIED if the wheel came off of the trailer and the HONDA got scratched up !!!!! I bet your tummy hit the ground when you saw that wheel... Glad you got it repaired, but that sounds a little 'tall' in price for that job... I use a cold-chisel to 'crack' those races off... It was nice of'em to pack the other side, though... Hope you get the poo off of the table, probably have to paint it anyway, though...
    Have a wonderful week-end, putting miles on the Honda, maybe go to DPS, and get some of Brenda's home-cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to hear they got your trailer road ready again. I do not know diddly about bird poop other than to get it off my car quick. I have damaged paint with a power washer in the past, use caution with how close you get.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...