Thursday, November 1, 2012

Beggars Night.....

Do they call it that any more??    I had to go look.....
Beggars Night, or more properly Beggars' Night, is a regional term for the Halloween-related activity that is referred to in most parts of the United States as "Trick or Treat". Specifically, the term is broadly but not exclusively used in central Ohio, and in many parts of Iowa,MassachusettsNew Hampshire, and western New York.
Well I guess I'm from Iowa, so that's why I refer to it that way, so perhaps I should use Trick or Treat........  But then I didn't see many tricks at our door tonight...   They just all say Trick or Treat and hold out their large candy sacks...  We used to have to tell a joke or something back in my day....  But then we were Beggars....

The beggars that left our place tonight were quite the sight....


This is the oldest two, but we had no idea who they were.....


They claimed that they had a little sister that needed more candy because she was starved....


But the little sister had this cousin that was from the green swamp........


But Miss Green, had this other little sister that thinks she is the princess of the whole lot....  And of course that is the most believable part of the whole deal.....

So while our gremlins were out canvasing the neighborhood for sugar pop and the like, we had ooodles of other gremlins grabbing treats at our door....

These kids drove poor Biscuit crazy...  Not because she was scared, quite the contrary she wanted to greet everyone of them and jump up on them and lick them.....  And when I held her back and wouldn't let her traumatize the kids she just howled like we were killing her....

We did keep her tied all night, because the last thing we needed to have was a loose dog in the dark of night, with thousands of kids out prowling about...

By the way, did you go look at the Antique cars in yesterday's post...?  I thought that a lot of folks would be interested in that older fellows collection of Fords from yesteryear..  But we had the poorest showing of folks logging into see them for most of the blogs I have written this last year...

And that puzzles me because the blog has a video and over 40 pictures....  It probably took me over three hours to put together  so it all worked with embedded slide show from Photo Bucket and the You Tube show...

I was quite excited about the blog when I finished, but I guess the gas is gone from that balloon....   I did post the slide show over on the club web site and had a bunch of hits from them....

Well that's blogging!

Retired Rod

7 comments:

  1. Hey, I enjoyed the video, but I think I mentioned that.
    "Back in my day", (never thought I'd use that expression) I recall having to sing "Oh, Canada" one time to get a treat! What the hell? I think I was about seven. I guess I must have known the words, since I seem to recall getting my treat.
    We lived in the country where, trust me, you did a LOT of walking for damned little results. The singing thing happened one year when one of my older siblings decided we should go over to Greenwood Air Force base and go door to door in the PMQs. ("privat military quarters", or something like that?)
    Well hell, there was a door every 50 feet! It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rod I liked the cars, My Granddaughter Nicky tells me when she gets married and has a Ford, she is saving me a place on the running board.We don't get many trick or treaters here because our house sets so far back from the street that they are to lazy to walk all the way up the driveway. Oh well there loss. Rigg's enjoys all of attention just like Bisquit. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable, scary, and cute costumes! I esp liked the "Blue Man" ! All very clever! Thanks for sharing! What a fun night for you all. I had to ask this year for a joke or riddle....so the kids are not automatically telling you-have to ask! But-I did like that the kids liked all my decorations. And, LB, was going nuts over the kids too...until I had to get very stern with her! She is starting to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kids looked terrific in their costumes, thanks for posting all those photos!

    I know what you mean about Biscuit and Halloween - we had to ban Molly and Rylie to a backroom with Paulette to keep them calmed down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the kids all looked great...they don't celebrate much in our area any more...last year we only had 2 kids our grand tots..I remember having to 'perform' for a treat sing a song or dance the highland fling..ever try that in a witches costume...??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old follower, new commenter. Beggars' Night here in Massachusetts is the 30th, Halloween eve. Better not expect anything that night! And yeah, those cars are neat.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way they did it in Des Moines, on the 30th not the 31st... Never did understand that but just how it was.....

      Delete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...