Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Lighting the garage...

I wanted a fluorescent light over my work bench since I built it last summer, but it didn't have as much priority as the other things around here that needed fixed...

But today I decided about noon that it had come to the top of the list...  Off to Home Depot...!  They had several designs and I had to ask the young salesman which one he thought was best...  He liked the one with the smaller newer tubes in it.... T-8s..  Said they put out as much light but used less power....  I can't verify that by looking at the internet specs but hey he sold it to me...  I guess the T-8s are 32 watts and the T-12s are 40..




Any way after getting the bulbs and the hooks to put in the ceiling and then a  timer to turn the thing on and off, a $20 fixture became over $40...

But they didn't have some of the little drill bits I was breaking off yesterday, so I ended up going to Lowes as well...  They had more but not all of the bits I was looking for...  Promised me to have them tomorrow...

Once back home, I set about finding the studs in the ceiling..  Looking at pictures taken before the drywall was put up, I knew which way they ran but not how far apart they were...  But using the stud finder I thought I had it..  Wrong...

I drilled about 4 holes before I found it...  Note to self, need drywall compound to fill holes...!

With the light up and the timer programmed and plugged in, the whole deal ran nicely...  The fluorescent bulbs only pull 32 watts each, so I run the light from dawn to dusk or later as that way the garage always has light in it when you open the door..  Either the house door or the big door, no fumbling for switches...  I don't know how much electricity that costs me annually but it couldn't be much...

And then I needed a prescription filled, and since I am now medicare, I had to look up where this should be completed...  I was using Wal Mart, but of course the AARP United Health Care folks don't contract with them as a primary provider...

Now that's a pain because that means the script needs to be transferred...  And I wanted something that was nation wide, so I picked Target...  They're all over the place...  So with a short scooter ride, I was over at a supercenter about 5 miles away...

The pharmacist didn't seem to know how the script would transfer or how much it would cost...  She wanted to get me in her system and then get the transfer from Wal Mart... Then she would know the rest....  Of course by then, I would be committed to use them no matter what it cost...

And way late tonight I got a transcribed email from a missed call message that it was all done and to go pick it up...  It was even cheaper than the last plan,  until I hit the doughnut hole...  I think that's $2900 this year or something like that...

So I will get to ride the scooter back over there in the morning and pick the script up...  But at least the garage is lit up!!  Maybe I can stop by the Lowes and get some of those broken drill bits..  See if their promise to get them overnight is worthy...

I guess things are a little slow around here..... LOL

Retired Rod

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are getting caught up and ready to relax a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow, but frustrating with the prescription issues. Hopefully you've got it all worked out now. Relax and enjoy your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on some prescription stories I've read about in blogs, yours seems to have been lightning fast! Great idea on the time for the fluorescent light in the garage!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...