Thursday, June 6, 2013

Will the sun ever shine

We had four out of the five grand kids over here this afternoon, as they were cooking cup cakes for the youngest ones birthday party....  The four older kids were eating the batter for the cake before it was baked, and spreading frosting on each other........

I tired of this menagerie not too long after it started and declared that I needed a hair cut..........  Ya, I know its a cop out.........   But hey, I look much nicer now with short hair.........!

I was sitting out in the garage in the car changing radio presets when I returned and ..........   I could hear the screams from inside the house in the attached garage.......  So I balked at that......

And then tonight they all came back to surprise the youngest with her cup cakes and  a decorated kitchen with balloons and other signs and so forth....   Of course at 4 she can't really read Happy Birthday that is emblazoned on the curtains over the windows, but its colorful and not normally there....

I busied myself with making the windows 8 backup recovery disks that the laptop has demanded be burned for the last month.......   And then I downloaded the latest version of Linux Mint 64 bit, with the cinnamon desktop...  Unlike Windows where you get the graphics that Microsoft deems to be correct for your pleasure....  With Linux, you can choose several versions, which they call distributions..  And then you have your choice of desktop control programs to run the underlying operating system....  Of course you can type in commands from a command prompt as well but no one but programmers can run things that way.....

So its Linux and my distribution is Mint and its for a 64 bit processor....  The latest version is 15 which is named Olivia...  And I am trying the most complicated desktop named Cinnamon...  I was running a desktop named Mate, which is decidedly easier...  oh, and there is one even easier than that called xfce...  That one looks almost simpler than Windows XP.

So if I get this new one set up, and running, I will be graduating to a more complicated platform.....  Windows 8 is kind of a bust as after about 30 minutes, you are left saying is that all there is to it?  So bring on the challenge....

Obviously I didn't get to ride the Wednesday ride today, as it was a massive thunder clap the served as  an alarm clock this morning.....  The downpour was a torrent all morning.....    But now they are scheduling a Friday ride for Walleye fish....  No this isn't Minnesota, and you can't catch Walleye in the Missouri River...   But oddly enough the restaurant is in a small town just North of the river.....

Will the sun ever shine again?

Retired Rod

4 comments:

  1. By the end of August, you'll probably be hoping it would rain. Bet Loyce is having a great time with all the grands around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grumpy Grandpa lol. Don't worry the sun will shine again. Thats what I was thinking a few days ago. We had rain for two solid weeks but the sun came back and we are Happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send the rain to Southern New Mexico - we REALLY need it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the sun will shine again - maybe not in Kansas, Toto, but it will shine somewhere! You seem to be doing o.k. and keeping busy, Rod. Ever since the sun came out here, I've been outside working so I kind of envy you a little bit.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...