Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Computer fun

I rode the Goldwing out to Saguaro Lake yesterday while the sun was out wall to wall...  Not a cloud in the ski...  As usual, my phone that doesn't take pictures was stalled out in my pocket....

Lately it has been taking photos again.....  I used it the other night at the Eddie Diamond concert to take both the still shot and the video of the too loud music...   And then when I pressed the off button it crashed and said it wasn't working...

Going back to the gallery though proved that the video was there....  The next day was when I updated this computer to W8.1 and I had a dickens of a time getting the stuff off of the phone...  Then when I went to store the You Tube Video I found that the blogger upload didn't work on their client under W8.1...

Next I had to download live writer, which doesn't like w8.1 too well either...   Windows live is now older software as well, and I wonder how long that will be supported...  But once I made a new account on You Tube under my real name and uploaded the 30 second video, I succeeded at running live writer, and finally made the blog posting it...  That took most of Sunday afternoon...

It would seem that 8.1 is yet a further step away from the older and more compatible windows of old..  And also Skype didn't work either...  Rick made a comment to get Skype for 8.1, but I couldn't get the old version to uninstall...  It was their companion program Click to Call that wouldn't go away...

Finally I had to completely remove Chrome and old Skype, then repair Click to Call and then remove it..  What a mess...!  Click to call is an extension that resides in Chrome and somehow was messed up on this old HP machine..

So with a clean install of Chrome and Skype................... it still didn't work!!  I threw my hands up in despair.....

So later that night, I was sitting here watching TV and suddenly out of the clear blue, I hear the computer make that tell tale sound that means skype has logged on.....  WHAT?

And yes you guessed it, it was there and running.....

By now I was completely out of monthly gigs on the verizon mifi...  Today starts another month on that...

So see why I was out riding that motorcycle on the sunny 71 degree afternoon up in the desert... Sometimes one has had about enough of the computer for one day...

Retired Rod

8 comments:

  1. Okay, so what all am I going to lose if I update to 8.1? I'm a little concerned about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would much rather ride than keyboard anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have four computers all with different Windows operating systems and sometimes none of them will communicate with the other. Like a bunch of kids wanting their own way. Gotta love them. Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it's time for you to investigate the linux operating system. It, and all the software you may want or need, goes with it for free. It may be possible to run it as a dual boot with Windows to try it out. It is very secure and, so far, virus free. Go to http://linuxmint.com. This is just one version of linux. There are many. Did I mention free?

    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JC I run the Mint Linux OS on my desktop computer in Kansas... As a Ham Radio operator, I have been on board with linux for many years.... I also know that Microsoft is the center of everything computer and feel that I must keep up with them.. So I run W8 and now W8.1 to learn and keep up.... I am thinking about partitioning the hard drive on the HP machine and installing mint to limit my frustration, however, as you suggest....

      Delete
  5. The computer gods are just messing with you Rod. You seem to be having some very strange things happening on that HP computer. Sound like you're gradually getting the best of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And supposedly, computers were going to make all life "easier". Only if you leave it sitting on the store shelf I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...