Monday, November 11, 2013

Veterans Celebration Apache Junction..

On Sunday morning, I participated in the Goldwing Road Riders motorcycle club as it joined the Harley Owners Group local chapter in riding to the local chamber of commerce in Apache Junction.

They were kicking off their Veterans Day celebration and wanted a big entrance of the Flags..  Again the Motorcycle Color Guard on their Goldwings lead the entrance of about 80 bikes...  We aligned ourselves along the road in front of the main chamber office and flag pole...  All of us were given a flag on a PVC pole which we held on the side of our handlebars...

The local VFW had several mounted horse color guard members that rode in in parade fashion with the main large flag....  We all stood at attention as the main flag was raised...  And then in complete silence as the black POW flag was raised....  There were tears in the crowd.....



Again since I was in the middle of this display, I couldn't take any pictures...  I did have my black US Navy Vietnam Veteran hat on along with the large Vietnam service patch that is on the shoulder of my mesh riding jacket...  Several people walked the row of bikes, thanking the Vets....  It was humbling...

They were having another parade again this morning, but since it was almost 90 during this activity yesterday, I decided against participating.   You stand there for what seems forever, in the sun while they get things coordinated...  With that many folks, it is kind of like herding...

Most motorcyclists have participated in these kinds of events before and fall right in line, but still seems to take a long time...

So I stand at attention  today with my right arm raised in Salute to the many Veterans that have given their time and lives in order that we might continue to be a Free Nation!!

Retired Rod

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your service! (A Blog follower)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow Navy Viet Nam Vet, I salute you, have a great day...Sam....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rod, for your service in Nam and also for your service yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rod from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...