Sunday, July 8, 2012

The last fan and Cabinet pulls....

Just a one fan day!! But that fan mounted way up into the gable end of the master bedroom on the back of the house..  Its about eleven and a half feet to the fan box, and the eight foot step ladder left me standing on one of the upper rungs...

But like most things, once you get used to the fact that your up there, its time to get on with the work..  The fan was mostly together from my work last night, so it was a matter or wiring it and then all those phillips fan blade screws..

But in a couple of hours it was all over and spinning merrily...

So that was my trigger to head back over to Home Depot..  To buy more stuff for the ongoing projects around here....

The builder wanted $600 to put cabinet pulls on the cabinets through out the house.....No way!  So today I bought the first bunches of pulls...  Bunches or boxes of 10, I bought 30..  And the hardware man asked if I wanted the template.....  What template?  He handed me a little plastic square like gizmo with a lot of holes in it...  "$8 and worth every penny", he said.

Once back home and working with the template, I soon learned that you picked the correct holes and it lined up the drilling exactly so the pulls were on the same every time.  A couple of starter holes with a small bit and then drill it out with the bigger one...

I would have never guessed that I would be able to install all 30 pulls in about 4 hours, but I did with that template gizmo..  And worth every penny, like he said.  The kitchen is done and one of the bathrooms too.  But I still need to go buy another couple of boxes of the darned things for the rest of the cabinets....

I also piled the truck full of dimension lumber to make myself a work bench like I have at the other places..  I've built the same thing over and over as we have moved around over the years...  It is too heavy to take with you so it just stays with the house when we go..

The bench will be 30" by 6 feet on its top with a height of 3 feet from the floor.  I extend the back up high enough to put a 4 foot tall piece of peg board on it for the entire 6 feet wide.  I like to hang tools and handy man stuff up there so you can see it at a glance..

But we reached 108 degrees this afternoon, so I wasn't man enough to go out and work on the bench until late tonight.....  Once the sun went over the hill to the West, but even then I was raining perspiration and my glasses wouldn't stay on my nose...

The bench is mostly done now that it is 9 PM, but it needs a brace cut to go across the back of it yet.  Those tools hanging on the peg board will end up weighing a bunch so the big brace in a must....

And yes I should have built the bench first thing before doing all the inside stuff, but Loyce wanted blinds in the windows for some reason, so they were priority......

I just looked, and it is still 97 outside at 10 PM... No wonder my shirt is such a disaster....

Retired Rod

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that template thing either but it does sound like a great idea and worth $8.

    It's Sunday, Rod, you need a day of rest - put your feet up and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rod, is your watch still on Central Daylight time? You say it is 10 p.m , and it is only 8 p.m. in Phoenix. Or maybe you are a day earlier. I think you are working too hard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at your dimensions for your workbench --it is as big as my entire kitchen at "The Plantation" Good luck on all those drawer pulls--I will have no drawers, no stove, and no vacuum cleaner!! I do have a door now - not installed but it is there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to learn more about the design of the cabinetry? Could you share pictures possibly and tell us more about the actual project?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...