Saturday, July 28, 2012

We have bushes!

I was awake at 6:30 this morning, but we didn't have any workers........  Should I call?  No lets wait a while, don't want to push it too hard....

But by quarter to eight, I couldn't stand it and made the call.  I kind of pushed a bit but only gently asking if they could please finish the bushes....  I made several arguments about needing to get back to Kansas and we were waiting for the fellows to get done......

Our contractor said they would be over mid morning.......  But by eleven they hadn't shown...  But I had made the call and wasn't calling again....They know what we need and pushing harder wouldn't solve anything...

Remember where we started...?




But just before noon, I saw the first wheel barrow full of plants go past the den window!!  Yea!!!  They've gone to the nursery and are here with the spoils!!!


Again, the workers seemed to head off into the far corner when they saw my camera..........!


The lead landscaper is a fellow by the name of Jose, and he said he had gone to the nursery himself and picked out each plant.  They all seemed quite healthy and vibrant.....  Jose worked for a nursery for twenty five years....


He put each shrub next to its pot that was buried in the ground,  and then stood back and looked the arrangement over...  Then he would go and switch a couple of plants around and step back and study the effect...  Of course I wondered if this was just for my effect, so I went inside.....


But no he went right on making changes until it was just right in his eyes.......  Looked good to me, but then I don't do this every day........

I didn't take any more pictures while the workers planted everything...  I didn't want to press my luck, since the leader, Jose had got back in his truck and departed once the layout was done.....


Tonight as the sun was setting, I went out and shot some pictures of the finished layout...  Some of the plants were beginning to wilt from the 108 degree day...  I will go run the irrigation once it is dark and the air has cooled back under 100...


The concrete hasn't cured completely, so we will have to wait until next week to get the chemical sealing completed...



The plants are still quite small, but perhaps they will stand the shock of being replanted out here in the desert, and not in their nursery...  Of course some will die....




And then just like clockwork, the boss of the landscape company arrives and wants to know what we think of the whole thing....  Of course he is here to get the final check......  He has to go settle up with the nursery....  Just a guess.......


But, I was happy that the yard is now complete for now and we can get back to doing something else at 6 AM besides wondering if the landscapers will be here today...!

Retired Rod

6 comments:

  1. Looks good, Rod. Once those plants take hold and begin growing it's going to look like a whole different place. I sure like the idea of having no grass to mow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We (from Texas) are surprised that there is no mulch around the bushes??? We have found that rock gets extremely hot in the sun; makes plant roots have a harder time. Mulch is so important to keep as much moisture as possible in the root area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your plants survive the heat. Most of them are good and hardy AZ plants so you should be good to go. You should be about done now aren't you? When do you get to relax and just enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with RunnRose. They mulch in AZ too. Perhaps the landscaper will be back with mulch.

    Emjay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rod - Your yard has come together nicely, now you can sit back and enjoy it....especially toward the end of October!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing those 'Hey Boobs' back in the early 60's:))

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...