Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer in KC

In the morning, I went back over to the watch repair place with an older and completely different watch that I have owned for years and years.  It is a Heuer, before they merged with Tag and became Tag Heuer.

A mechanical chronograph back in 1974 was really something, and I purchased this from a jewelry store for about $175 back in the day.  Of course it needs cleaned inside and re oiled and assembled.  The crystal is cracked in a couple of places and is plastic.  A new one costs bundles of money, but the fellow really wants to clean up this watch.

Actually, I think he wants the opportunity to take it apart and re assemble it for his own knowledge.  He gave me a deal on restoring the watch but it will still be more than twice what I paid for it originally.  I paid some of the money now, and will pay more once he finds the parts for the watch.

He feels that he can order most of what he will need but may have to custom fit some newer pieces in order to restore this old jem.  I let him do it, because I am sentimentally attached to this old piece.  I know I won't wear it much after it is fixed, but the jeweler says it should be worth almost a $1,000 in good condition on the used market.  Ya, right, that requires a buyer that is willing to pay that much.  And that might take a while to find.........  Besides, I won't sell it anyway.

That trip took most of the morning, except that I stopped over to the local Sam's Club and renewed my membership.  Since we are retired, we piggy back off of my daughter in law, and she had redone her membership.  So then I had to go redo mine to match.  That took a while standing at the counter as the clerk could not find the info on the computer.  But finally it was all good.

I wandered around in the Club looking at all the stuff, but didn't spend a dime.  They do have some really good deals, and also have larger bulk packages of the acid reducer medicine that I use.

Later in the afternoon, I went on another long scooter ride out in the country to our South.  This was mostly a highway ride at 60 to 70 miles per hour.  It was kind of fun, but not as relaxing as a 45 to 50 mile per hour ride.  You can't let your guard down at the higher speeds because things happen much quicker going fast.

And then late in the Day we all congregated over at my son Ben's house for an impromptu outdoor, back yard picnic.  The meal was good, and the kids were rambunctious, jumping on the trampoline and playing with a basket ball.  We broke up the party at about dusk, as the kids needed to go to bed, and it is easier if we are not a distraction while that happens, so we left for home.

Just another summer day in KC!

Retired Rod


  1. Sounds like you had a good day, Didn't do much here at the Ranch. be s safe out there. Sam & Donna...

  2. After reading your post, I'm actually thinking about digging one of my 2 watches out of my dresser drawer and getting batteries for them. I haven't worn a watch in over 10 years now but the 2 watches I got when I retired are both pretty nice.


Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...