Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Warning Medical Explanation!

I'm going to go ahead and describe this surgery because I think it is really interesting how this was done.  If you are squeamish about hearing these things don't read on...........

I have been going to the Kansas University Hospital which is KU as in Basket Ball Champions umpteen times.  The Hospital is a teaching university hospital and is on the cutting edge of most things.  And this procedure that I had, was right up there on that edge.

Scar tissue had formed on and in one of the little tubes that comes down from my kidney and they needed to remove it.  Rather than open me back up from the front with a big incision, they used ultra sound and Xrays to put a needle into my back and into this tube.  They put a plastic tube over the needle and put it into the little kidney tube.  Then the needle is removed, leaving the tube.

Then they put a wire into the plastic tube.  Next they remove the plastic tube and leave in the wire.  Then they slip in a little bigger plastic tube and take out the wire.  I was left with this tube in overnight while they drained the kidney until the fluid coming out was clear.   That was Monday's procedure.

Then yesterday I went back into a bigger operating room where they used successively bigger wire and bigger tubing until they could insert a laparscope and remove the scar tissue.  Then like a blood vessel in a closed artery in your heart, they inserted a plastic stint inside the kidney tube. It will stay there for a couple of months, while the whole thing heals around it.

I will have no sensation that it is even in there, but it will keep the passage open, until they decide to remove it.  They will watch it with radio active dye and a camera that can see the dye.

I was told that only a few years ago the only way to take care of this problem was to go thru the complete abdominal surgery route again.   Not a pleasant thought....

So while I sit here and type this, I can feel the unpleasant feeling of where the needle and tubing were inserted in my back, but I am told it will be gone in a day or two.   All I had was a band aid over the place they went in, for last night, and the surgeon took that off today at noon and told me I was good to go........  Like in go home, which is where I am right now at 2 PM on Wednesday afternoon.....

I still had two days of staying in the hospital with them keeping me up all night, at least every hour on the hour for something like my vitals, or at 4 AM this morning, the phlebotomist was certain that I need to give her another vial of blood for them to test.   Since I knew I was going home anyway, I just pleasantly declined to let her stick me.  She wasn't a bit happy about it, but I said absolutely not!

So I was up at 4 AM for all day........

I think I will try and take a nap.......

Retired Rod


  1. A nap sounds like a great idea!! Glad they didn't have to open you up again, and that you are home!! :)

  2. Wow. That is fascinating. And amazing. This is when I just love technology. They can do such wonderful surgeries now that a few years ago were so invasive. So happy to hear you are home and resting. That is great news.

  3. That procedure sounds so much better than what you've had to go through before. Rest up!

  4. It's amazing what they can do these days, not only in the medical profession but technology in any field.

    Glad you're home for your birthday! Are you having Wendy's? LOL We've started going to A&W, they're burgers are better (and cheaper) and they'll give you burgers without the bun too.

  5. Wow Rod you are getting to be a medical trend setter. I find the whole thing fascinating I got to see the TV of Donna's heart procedure and it was so neat to see the little veins in the heart that had been starved of blood filling up again after the stent was in.It really hits home when you think about how just a few years previous, she would have been doomed to a major heart attack. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

  6. that is the surgery that Miss Ella has had twice but they only left the stint in for a week. Nice to hear you are at home for your Birthday Rod.

    Take Care

  7. Rod, I have a friend at home in Victoria, B.C. who had that same surgery last year and he is doing just fine now - no problems whatsoever!

    Glad to hear you're home for Thanksgiving - Turkey and Football!!

  8. What you've gone through sounds so much better than invasive surgery. I have one comment though, and that is the doctors, labs, blood takers, etc., want to schedule all the follow ups and re-rests at THEIR convenience. You can insist they do all that stuff at YOUR convenience, especially if you want to travel. If they have to stay home in freezing winter what do they care that you want to go to a warmer climate, so please stick up for yourself. Best of luck with your recovery.

  9. Pretty amazing what they can do with modern technology nowadays. I think if it was a hundred years ago many of us out here in Blog Land would simply not be here anymore. Sounds like it will be all systems go for Arizona eh:))

  10. Nice to see you're once again on the mend.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

  11. Hey, Rod, Docs (I'm a retired one) don't order those lab tests just to annoy you...they likely wanted to check to ensure that the kidneys were functioning as well post-op and that there weren't signs of any unexpected post-op internal bleeding...but you're not alone....many people don't get that often serial specimens are needed to monitor for trends...hopefully to see that things are "going good" instead of "going south".

    Happy Thanksgiving!


Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...