Monday, January 9, 2012

Sunday and the Crock Pot

And I ate almost all of it!   Since I have been staying up almost all of the nights and watching TV, I have been watching the food channel and the shows about Drive Ins and Diners and Dives.  The host, Guy, with the White Spiked Hair, goes back to the kitchen and watches or helps cook the specialty items of each joint.

He seems to be a good cook in his own right, and often surmises the process before the local cook gets it complete.  But that gave me an idea to do some pulled pork for sandwiches here today.  I seldom have recipes to follow as I am a dumper.  That is just dump what you have in the pot and cook it.

I purchased a three pound little pork shoulder roast yesterday and this morning I put it in the crock pot with a chopped onion that I sauteed and some apple juice, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and a small can of tomato sauce.

I didn't cover the roast with the sauce but it was about half way up the side of it.  I left it on low for several hours, and came back and turned the meat over every now and then.  The onion and vinegar smell filled the house all day.

About six hours later, I checked the meat with a fork and it was easy to flake off of the big roast, so I took it out of the pot and went thru the pulling process, shredding the entire piece.  I dumped the juice thru a sieve and saved some of the clear liquid.  To this I added about a small bottle of KC Masterpiece Bar Be Cue Sauce, and about a half cup of Jim Beam whiskey.

This all mixed with the pulled pork and went back into the crock pot for about another hour.  I had saved enough of the extra apple juice mixture to add into the meat as it cooked down during that time.

At about 4 PM I had made a fresh loaf of Whole Wheat and Honey bread in the bread maker.  The whole meal was done about 7 PM.

There's not much left for left overs, but tonight I feel really stuffed as I type this for some reason.........

Retired Rod

7 comments:

  1. Greatdinner ,Rod, I could smell that vinegar and onions all the way here in Dardenne Prairie. Glad you enjoyed the fruits or pork of your labor. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm sounds good will have to try that - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds very yummy..I love pulled pork..betcha your house smelt wonderful all day...like you I am normally a dumper..no recipe for anything...:) have a super week

    ReplyDelete
  4. MY mouth is watering just thinking about it. Glad to see you're starting to get your appetite back.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great meal. Just love that pulled pork and the fresh bread to top it off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I will try that one of these days, except I don't like whiskey so never have it in the house. I love scotch but I sure wouldn't cook with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, oh boy, you're lucky my wife wasn't there, she would have raced you to the end of that pulled pork!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...