Friday, November 13, 2009

Algodones, BC, Mex (Lots of Pictures)

It was completely overcast as we got out of the car in the fenced parking area on the US side of the boarder.  US customs is in a building next to the tan overhead on the left.  They were sniffing cars with dogs, so I didn’t take any pictures as they really don’t like that.


No man’s land, but still on the US side of the wall.  Wall is visible on the left side beyond the white gated fence.


I think there was a guy in the far shack, but they weren’t stopping cars.


Where did everyone go?  Usually there is a kid hawking shoe shines or gum, the moment you get thru the gate.


The overcast and possible rain must have slowed this a bit.   The streets were clean and though persistent, everyone was polite.  I saw no beggars, like I did across from Texas in Nuevo Progresso.


The sidewalks are enclosed with stands on both sides, and they hawk the usual stuff.  Belts, hats, jewelry and all the trinkets.  Dentist senor?  Eye exam?


We tired fairly quickly of the shopping, but I found some diabetes medicine that I use and bought it cheaper than the deductable I pay here in the US.  That doesn’t seem right, but that’s how it is.
In the courtyard of the pharmacy, was a restaurant.  Hey why not?


Camarones al Mojo de Ajo.  Shrimp in garlic sauce.  $7.99 US.  I tried to picture Loyce’s Chimichanga, but she had her arm over it so the picture didn’t come out.


We shopped and shopped, not really buying anything, but a bracelet for Loyce, and some vanilla.  Oh and then we bought the barbed wire cactus.  Its still in the trunk of the car.
When we decided to go, we got in this long line along the sidewalk.


We made it down that sidewalk, only to turn and find that the line went on even farther.  The customs agents were in the portable office under the roof.  You climbed the ramp inside the tan canvas corridor.  I felt like livestock in a vaccination chute.  Single file now!


He ran my passport, and asked what I bought.  I answered “vanilla and some prescriptions.”  OK! and I was out the door.  Loyce had the three foot wire cactus in a bag, and she had to answer what that was.  But we made our way to the car.

The parking is run by the local Indian tribe, but the lot is huge and completely fenced.  There was several fellows buzzing around on security golf carts, and they gladly grabbed the $5 out of my hand as we left.

When we got back to Yuma, we drove to the address of the swap meet, without using the GPS.  It was right where it should have been, except the GPS confused North with South.  We should have seen the darned thing, as we drove right by it yesterday.
We walked for quite a ways in the swap meet, but it was slow going in there.  Perhaps we’ll go back tomorrow when we are not so hiked out.

Retired Rod


  1. Hey Rod, thanks for the tour and pictures of Algodones - now we don't have to go across the border into Mexico when we're down there in the new year!

  2. Always a line up at Algodones I hear. We've crossed at Palomas & Lukeville & the border buildings are similar. No line-ups at those 2 places though. Surprised there were no people begging & vendors all over you as soon as you set foot into Mexico. They have maybe exercised some control about that at Algodones.


Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...