Friday, July 23, 2010

The passing of Rev LeRoy Bauman

We lost the final corner stone of our family today, as Loyce’s father, Leroy Bauman passed away around noon.  He was in a Nursing facility in Des Moines, where he has been a resident for the last several months. With his loss we now have no living parents.

Last winter when we were in Arizona, dad suffered a stroke that set him back, and made it hard for him to be alone.  He lived with Loyce’s sister Betsy in their home in Urbandale, Iowa.

With his passing, I have lost an avid blog reader, as he often would read my scribbles here on the web site.  He thought it was great, as he could keep up with us in our travels and daily thoughts.  I privately wondered what he really thought, as he was an English major before he went to divinity school.  But ever his gracious self, he would compliment me for the writings!

When he could no longer work the computer, Betsy would often  print out some of the blogs for him to read.  He wanted to go see the motorhome last summer, even though he would have been too weak to climb the stairs into the door.  He loved travel, and would encourage us to go see everything.

Dad was 93 last fall when his birthday rolled around, and had been retired for many years.  As a minister, he had served 8 churches and so many parishioners that it would be hard to even know the number.  He was an approachable  and likeable fellow that folks bonded with almost instantly.

He refused to see bad things in any person, but rather sought the things that were right and commendable. Perhaps one of the most positive folks I have ever met.

There are so many things I could say here, but perhaps it will be summed up by dad we’re going to miss you!

Retired Rod

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your father. It sounds like he was a great man. I know how hard it is to sum up the essence of a person in a few words - I wrote the eulogy for my dad when he passed away three years ago. You definitely gave me a sense of what your father-in-law was like - he would have been giving you another compliment. Please convey my condolences to Loyce as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your hearts are heavy right now and our thoughts are with you. Its not easy to lose a loved one that has been so much a part of your life....
    We go on because we know they would want us to.....Memories are a great thing. plus we know they are in Heaven. My folks also loved to RV and enjoyed watching us do it. I believe they are all now in that GREAT CAMPGROUND in the sky!
    My entire family is there!! I know they are watching over us, just as your father is watching over you..... God be with you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to here of Rev. Baumen's passing. You & Loyce are in our prayers and thoughts,your decription of him is so fitting. the world needs plenty more Mr. Baumens.Please accept our sincere condolences, your friends, Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss Rod and Loyce. Sounds like the world lost a wonderful and kind man. We could use more people like him in this world. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    JB and Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of Loyce's father's passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful tribute to a man who obviously made a positive impact. I'm sorry for yours and Loyce's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautifully written Rod-Dad would be so touched! He admired you greatly and was so proud to have you as his son-in-law. I know he often went to you for advice-and trusted your advice greatly. Maisie was always able to comfort him when he would get so ill-noone else could calm him like she could.
    You both were so good to him! You gave him his first grandchildren-and how he so loved Chris and Ben! He was a gentle soul-and touched many lives. Love you both! B

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Father-in-Law. Please pass on our deepest condolences to Loyce. The feelings you have for him are evident in this wonderful posting about him. I'm glad he got to enjoy a long and full life and to see his grandchildren grow up. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rod and Loyce, So sorry to hear of the loss of your father. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you get through these next few days.
    Kit and Jerry Bertelsen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just heard the news and a frantic google search led me to this blog. Probably not the best forum for this but I had to say something about how much he meant to me, did for me, how much I loved him even after I grew up and moved away and lost touch. What a truly wonderful man. My prayers are with you all. vicki

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...