Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Back in KC and the Boat Tag

We arrived home last night several hours after the supper bell, and then had to go thru the unload process.  We had really filled the truck and trailer with stuff from the lake house that we didn't think we needed there any more.

Some of it might find its way to the new joint in Arizona, but I am encouraging the long and hard look at stuff to see if the Good Will Store might be the best option.......   As Rick up in Canada calls it, a Sally Ann run.......   I don't know how we get all this stuff, because I don't go to garage sales much..........

But once unloaded, the trailer had to go back to its storage lot..  It was almost dark by then...  Some left overs from the meals at the lake became supper and once in the easy chair to read a few blogs, I was gone..............zzzzzzzzzz.  So no blog was written.  It was about 2 AM when I managed to get myself upstairs and into the formal bed....   Even Biscuit looked at me like I was crazy for bothering her..

But on Monday morning, I did make that Department of Motor Vehicles run for the new license for the pontoon boat.  Its due to be stuck on by June 30, but perhaps having it early will keep me from disaster with the lake patrol....

I rode the red scooter up to Eldon, Mo which is about 20 miles North of the lake place.  It was cool in the morning, and the road is somewhat of a back road going thru the woods, past peoples places that want to live out miles from nowhere...  You can accomplish this goal in rural Central Missouri!!

Missouri uses privately run license bureaus that are agents of the DMV.  They are for profit businesses that want to serve you as best they can.  The one in Eldon has two doors.  One for the entrance with a large counter of gals and computers, and a door as an exit after you go past the counter.  A few chairs line the windows for folks that might need to wait a while......

I parked and walked in the OUT door because I wasn't paying attention.......  Of course they teased me right off....  Kind of like the barber shop razzing, in a good nature anyway..  There weren't any other customers in the place.  I tossed the card that had come in the mail to the gal, and she went to work on the computer...

They have to look up if you paid your property tax on the vehicle, which is billed by the county court house separately in Missouri.  But in just a few moments she had it online.  Yep, its paid....  So with a check for $103, that paid for the tags on the boat for three years....  "Here you go, a new sticker for each side, you know how to put them on?"

The personal property tax on the vehicles in Missouri is paid to the county each year along with your real estate taxes.  So when you purchase a tag or license plate, you just pay the registration cost and nothing more.  My truck that is registered at the lake has these three year tags as well....  For the truck you have to prove insurance as well when it is renewed....

So I was out of there almost 5 minutes after I arrived.........  Perhaps the rural nature of this privately run agency is in contrast to the state run DMV office here in KC, Ks.  Remember I never have acquired a tag for the utility trailer,  Yet.....

Retired Rod

3 comments:

  1. 5 minutes - that has to be some kind of a record. 106 here today. Everybody is so excited because it's going to cool down to the upper 90's by Friday before it goes back up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, in Missouri that is business as usual. Where we have so much trouble is back here on the Kansas side of the border.

      Delete
  2. That process sounded quick and painless, Rod - as it should be. I'm always totally mystified at how we can accumulate so much stuff in just a few years. Like you, I have no idea where most of it comes from.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...