Saturday, May 12, 2012

Leave the Line?

I never know what to report when we have spent 3 and a half hours driving to central Missouri as the focal point of our day.  But wait, the day started way before that when I realized that the license tag on the utility trailer needed renewed.  Ya, like last February..........

So I hopped on the scooter and drove over to the DMV at about 8 AM this morning.  I knew they had been remodeling the computer software last week, and I thought an early start might help to get things along...............  Uh, they opened up at 7:30 and when I arrived 198 folks had applied ahead of me..

Estimated wait time was 6 1/2 hours............  What?  Like three o'clock in the afternoon.......?  But by that time I had a position in the virtual line with my cell phone number enrolled for update text messages from the computer.

And yes they did update me about every half hour, and it only got worse.  Seemed that my position in line never improved at all, and the amount of time needed to serve each person became more......

Some 4 1/2 hours later they were still reporting that it would take 3 hours for me to be served.  After a couple of test texts, sending letters that the computer didn't accept, I got a message with the allowable responses, of which I was looking for an L for leave the line.......  I tried Q for quit and E for end and C for cancel, but none of them did anything.  I did get a charge out of M for add more time to your appointment,  you know, if your running late.........

But after an L text it said that if I wanted to come back and get in line later today I wouldn't loose my place.....  We left about 2 PM and were here by about 5 :30.  And no the cops didn't get me with my expired tag on the trailer......

We had the 5 year old grand daughter with us for the ride and we enjoyed talking to her most of the way to get her perspective of the things she saw out the window.  We didn't have any of those kids say the darnedest things moments, but sometimes she can come up with some hum dingers..........

Once here it was "go into cleaning mode" on overtime, since the rest of her family was arriving in about another 4 hours or so.  The house hadn't been used since last September and the bugs had made it their home.........

So Mother's day will be at the Lake Place this year.....

Retired Rod

3 comments:

  1. You got out of town - Yippee! Have a wonderful time - well, once you displace the bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have great long lines at the DMV when everyone's tags expired at the same time each year. Now they have them staggered, so it's not that big a deal anymore. We can also buy them at certain major grocery stores, and even online. Happy Tails, and Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...